Monday, July 20, 2015

Dude, I got a Dell! (7/9/15)

No, I didn’t buy a computer. Two days ago, I told my family goodnight around 10 or 10:30. I was in my room for just a few minutes when my host mom came in and presented me with a beautiful blue Mongolian dell. In Mongolia, when someone is talking about a dell, they are NOT referring to a computer. Dells are the traditional clothing in Mongolian culture. They are robe like garments that, more traditionally, reach the mid calves or ankles in length, are long sleeved, and are tied with a belt or sash around the waist. There are also buttons on one side to close it. My family gave me a non-traditional dell, which for women is shorter and short-sleeved. My dell has a zipper in the back. It’s more like a dress, but the material and style is the same as a traditional dell. It reaches the tops of my knees and has white embroidery on the collar and sleeves. The belt is a little frilly and is more for fashion than function. Somehow, my dell fits me perfectly. My family didn’t measure me or anything, so I don’t know how they knew what size to get. The belt was a bit big, so my mom and sister are taking it in today.

My Mongolian host mom and I the morning of Naadam

Tomorrow, my sitemates and I along with some host family members are going to Darkhan for the day to celebrate Naadaam, the festival of the three manly sports. The three sports are horse racing, wrestling, and archery. Caleb and I may get to see each other here, which will be an unexpected visit. He or I will write more about this after it happens, but I mention it now because I will be wearing my dell for the festival tomorrow. None of my family is able to go with me because they have to work, but they are super excited for me to get dressed up for the occasion. I’m not quite sure, but I think someone is going to do my hair in the morning. And my 20 year old sister and mom just went through all my earrings to pick out the ones that match my dell the best. My only problem is the lack of fancy shoes (which is fine with me, but my family may disapprove). I have high heels, but I don’t think I’m going to show those to my family because they might make me wear them. Hopefully, I can get away with my black slip-on TOMS.

My PST sitemates, Jessica and Alex, and I before going to Naadam

Caleb and I at the Naadam stadium in Darkhan

Anyways, it’s awesome that I have my very own dell! I’m excited to officially wear it tomorrow for Naadaam. Pictures will go up as soon as possible!


~Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment